I’m not much of a fennel fan, but I really enjoy it in this dish! I had this salad at a party this summer and knew I’d replicate it once we got fennel in our Fresh Fork Market grab bag. And this past week we did….so, here’s the yummy salad! Fresh, delicious and crunchy, this salad is great as a side dish for dinner, or is a perfect addition to your picnic fare.
The following serves 4 as a side salad (compliments of This Girl’s Gotta Eat):
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- Handful of fennel fronds, chopped
- Zest of 1 small orange
- 2 oranges, peeled, separated and pits removed and sliced in bite size pieces – watch out for seeds
- 1 heaping cup of pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup of oil from the olives, or olive oil
- 2 – 3 Tbsp of white wine vinegar
- Small pinch of salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2.5 ounces, or half a small container of organic arugula
Combine the fennel, fronds, orange zest, orange pieces, olives, oil, vinegar and salt and pepper in a medium-large bowl. Mix well and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Taste, and add more oil or vinegar to your liking if needed.
Dish out arugula and top with the fennel, oranges and olives.