Tonight’s fantastically delicious and healthy dinner is a riff on a Pad Thai I made with chicken and broccoli a while back. I tweaked the recipe and made it low carb in order to use up some of our lovely Fresh Fork Market ingredients including cabbage, carrots, candy onion and green onions. You don’t always need a new recipe, try using different ingredients to make an old recipe, new!
The following makes 7-8 wraps (compliments of This Girl’s Gotta Eat and Taylor Made):
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
- Half a candy onion (or whatever onion you have), chopped
- 3 small carrots, peeled and chopped, green leaves removed and roughly chopped as well
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Sriracha
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp natural creamy peanut butter
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional for more heat)
- Whole cabbage leaves rough stems removed, 7-10 total, depending on the size
- Toasted sesame seeds and nuts, use whatever you have, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped for garnish
- Green onions, chopped for garnish
In a large skillet, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots, saute for 3 minutes or so until beginning to softened. Add the chicken and cook, tossing occasionally until cooked through. Add in the carrot greens and wilt.
Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Add broccoli florets and quickly blanch, 1-2 minutes. Remove with a spider or slotted spoon and run under cold water. Drain, and set aside.
Prepare the sauce by whisking together the soy sauce, Sriracha, garlic, honey, peanut butter, juice of 1/2 a lime and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
When the chicken is cooked through and the carrot greens are wilted, turn the heat to medium-low. Add the broccoli and the sauce, toss to combine and let the sauce soak into the chicken and veggies, a few minutes.
To serve, dish out the chicken mixture onto cabbage leaves. Top with chopped nuts, cilantro or parsley, and green onions. Finish with a little more lime juice, or serve with lime wedges if desired.
If you have some of the leftover chicken mixture, enjoy it the next day over some shredded cabbage dressed with a little olive oil, lime juice and salt and pepper – delicious!