This tangy and crunchy, low-cal mediterranean supper is quite tasty and comes together pretty fast…perfect refueling food after a good workout! Also a great use for that little bit of hummus you have waiting to get used up in your fridge. 🙂
The following serves 2-3 (adapted from Food Network Magazine):
- Cooking spray
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 and 1/4 lbs), sliced into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 packet/box of falafel mix
- 6 Tbsp hummus (I use homemade: https://thisgirlsgottaeat.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/aladdins-inspired-hummos/)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp Sriracha (chile sauce)
- 12 oz bag shredded broccoli slaw (you could also use coleslaw)
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Kosher salt
- Whole grain naan, sliced
Preheat oven to 425. Set a cooling rack on a rimmed baking sheet and coat with cooking spray.
Toss the chicken with some olive oil in a large bowl (just enough to coat the chicken), then add the falafel mix and toss to coat (again, just enough mix to coat the chicken well). Arrange chicken on top of the rack and bake until golden and cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. While the chicken is baking, warm the naan slices in the oven for a few minutes as well.
Meanwhile, mix the hummus, lemon zest and juice, chile sauce and 3 Tbsp water in a large bowl. Remove 2 Tbsp of the hummus sauce and reserve. Add the broccoli slaw mix and parsley to the remaining hummus sauce and toss. Season with salt to taste.
Divide the chicken among plates and drizzle with the reserved hummus sauce. Serve along with slaw and warmed naan.