I love fall and practically love everything pumpkin! So when I saw this on Pinterest (from Sarcastic Cooking), I just had to give it a whirl. This pasta is a spicy, creamy fall treasure that I thoroughly enjoyed, and bonus….it’ll be done in under 15 minutes!
The following serves 2-4:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 heaping Tbsp pureed canned chipotle in adobo
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk (I used fat-free half-and-half instead)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ lb cooked pasta, such as linguine or spaghetti (I used whole wheat linguine)
- 4 Tbsp toasted slivered almonds and pumpkin seeds (I used sunflower seeds instead)
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
Add olive oil to a large skillet. Heat oil over medium/low heat for a minute. Add garlic and chipotle. Mix to combine and sauté for one to two minutes. Spoon in pumpkin puree and whisk to combine. Slowly add the almond milk (or half-and-half) while whisking. Cook for three minutes over low heat. If the sauce seems too thick, add a little low-sodium chicken stock to thin slightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Meanwhile, cook pasta to al dente according to package instructions. Drain and add cooked pasta to sauce. Cook in the sauce, stirring constantly for a few minutes so the pasta absorbs the sauce. Top pasta with almonds, pumpkin seeds (or sunflower seeds), cilantro and pepper. Being Italian, there generally isn’t a pasta I eat without parmesan cheese….so I also topped with some grated parm 🙂