Food Network Magazine had some fun spins on the classic ice cream sandwich, including these coffee and doughnut beauties! I brought these to a Memorial Day cookout for dessert on a hot day and they were a BIG hit….super easy and super cool!
- Chocolate-covered doughnuts (they used mini doughnuts, I recommend using Etenmann’s classic though)
- Coffee ice cream
- To build: split chocolate-covered doughnuts in half crosswise. Sandwich with coffee ice cream, arranging small spoonfuls on the doughnut ring keeping the hole empty.
A few tips from both Food Network Mag and This Girl:
- Chill the doughnuts in the fridge before splitting in half, makes for an easier cut.
- After you split the doughnuts, freeze them for an hour or two before assembling.
- Use firm ice cream, not softened.
- Scrape the ice cream instead of scooping.
- After assembling, freeze sandwiches at least 1 hour before serving.