For a girl who loves her fresh Italian bread, even I end up with some stale slices in the fridge. Here’s a great homemade crouton recipe from Guy Fieri to help use up that stale bread. Don’t stress about the ingredients, follow the technique and use what you have on hand…it’ll be better than store-bought any day!
The following makes 4 cups:
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp garlic paste, (2 cloves garlic smashed with the flat side of a knife and a sprinkle of salt, to make paste)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups cubed stale Italian bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, except the bread, until well combined. Adjust the seasoning, if needed.
Add in the bread and mix well with your hands, tossing to coat all sides of cubes. Pour out onto a baking sheet and spread evenly. Bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, turning after 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container.