Oh kids, this one is a real winner! A fantastic and easy summer meal you can enjoy during the week, or equally on the weekend. The combination of lemon, feta and mint give this just the right bite. Fire up the grill and let me know how it turns out!
Ingredients for Kebabs (makes 4):
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 lbs steak cut into chunks (use whatever cut of meat you like)
- 1 red bell pepper cut into chunks
- 1 cubanelle pepper cut into chunks (you could also use another bell pepper if you don’t like cubanelle)
- Half of a red onion cut into chunks
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh mint chopped and crumbled feta cheese for garnish
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 10 minutes. If using metal skewers you won’t need this step.
- Layer skewers with steak, cubanelle pepper, onion, bell pepper, and repeat until ingredients are evenly disbursed between 4 skewers.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle liberally with Kosher salt on both sides.
- Next zest 1 lemon and also squeeze the juice equally over the skewers.
- Let marinate for 20-30 minutes.
- Grill over medium-high heat , covered, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare to medium, when done let rest for 5 minutes.
Grilled Romaine (serves 2-4 depending on the size of the head):
- While the kebabs are resting, make the romaine.
- 1 head of romaine cut lengthwise in half (if you’re making this for 2 buy a smaller head and cut in half, if you’re making this for 4 buy a larger head and quarter lengthwise).
- Mix some olive oil, red wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl and drizzle the cut side of the romaine with the dressing just before grilling. Just eyeball the amounts here, it doesn’t have to be perfect – generally you want more olive oil and equal parts vinegar and lemon.
- Grill the romaine cut side down first for about 2 minutes, flip and grill for another 2 minutes until both sides are marked and slightly wilted.
- Transfer to plates and season romaine with Kosher salt.
Serve kebabs over grilled romaine and hit everything with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, crumbled feta cheese and chopped mint just before serving.