This pasta salad is light, fresh and super tasty – great for serving in the summer! I love taking ideas I see on in my fav cooking shows or magazines and making them my own. This recipe is a great example, thanks to the Food Network’s The Kitchen for the pineapple-zucchini salsa idea!
The following serves 6-8 (compliments of This Girl’s Gotta Eat and The Kitchen):
- 2 small to medium-size zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 of a peeled and cored pineapple
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1 lb gemelli pasta
- 2 small to medium-size shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger (save yourself time and use it from the tube)
- 2 tsp finely diced jalapeno or your favorite hot sauce, use more or less depending on how much spice you like
- 6 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Tbsp Champagne or Chardonnay Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro or mint
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Preheat grill to medium. Grill the pineapple and zucchini for a few minutes on each side until beginning to char. You still want the zucchini to have a little crunch. Remove from the grill and set aside. Once cool enough to handle, diced the pineapple and zucchini and add to a large bowl or casserole dish. Toss with the cucumber, and season lightly with salt and pepper to taste.
In a small bowl, whisk the shallots, ginger, jalapeno or hot sauce, oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add dressing to the pineapple-zucchini mixture and toss to combine.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil. Season with salt and cook pasta to al dente, according to package directions. Drain and return to pan to cool slightly.
Add the slightly cooled pasta to the dressed pineapple-zucchini mixture. Add the cilantro or mint and toss everything well to combine. Season with a little more salt and pepper to taste if needed. You can also add more oil or vinegar if you’d like.
Store covered in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.